This course examines the history, principles, and practices of varied genres of journalism with emphasis on writing news, features, interviews, and editing.
Course Goals and Objectives:
- Understand and appreciate the fundamentals and varied aspects of journalism.
- Analyze and practice the philosophy of ethical high school journalism and legalities within high school journalism.
- Understand and compare/contrast the importance of the business aspects of a news publication and other media sources.
- Investigate and produce various types of news writing and present the finished product in a concise and professional manner.
- Review good interviewing techniques and the proper ways to publish interviews.
- Develop creativity in the design process and layout using various forms of media.
- Appreciate the importance of photojournalism and develop skills of editing and story telling.
- Develop the fundamental vocabulary of journalism.
- Develop skills of researching and writing of varied journalistic pieces.