For credit recovery beyond a full load.
Independent Study (IS) is a state certified program for students who are at-risk of not graduating from high school and are self-motivated to complete high school graduation requirements. Many districts have local ALC-IS programs that offer credit recovery at a local site. Students are encouraged to check those programs first for credit recovery, as they are aligned more closely with district graduation requirements.
Enrolling through independent study is only an option for students who can meet the parameters established below.
- Students must be age 16-21 to enroll in Independent Study.
- Qualified students may make up 2 semester credits per year through IS.
- Students must meet one of the state-specified Graduation Incentives.
- Students taking a course through Independent Study are required to meet the state requirement of 20% contact attendance time.
- Contact Time can be conducted through virtual methods.
How does the required 20% contact time work through NSO?
Students now have the option of Virtual Contact.
What are the NSO Expectations of an Independent Study student?
- Log in and participate in their online class on a daily basis.
- Meet the required 20% contact time.
- Complete assignments on a weekly basis.
- Work hard to complete their credit within the scheduled time frame (an extension may be requested if you have been active throughout the term).
- Students will be dropped for lack of attendance (limited/no log in activity) or incomplete work within a two week time period.
Independent Study arrangements
Please contact NSO to discuss arrangements for Independent Study before enrolling.