Mentor Connection Online is an offering of Honors Mentor Connection that offers academic immersion in the professional environment.
Honors Mentor Connection (HMC), a rigorous academic course offering by Intermediate District 287’s Gifted Education Services, is an opportunity for talented high school students to participate in advanced study in an area of interest under the guidance of an eminent professional in the field. Students apply and register through their school districts; their HMC grade will appear on their regular school transcript.
Students enroll in four .5-credit courses (A-B-C-D), which together constitute a two-hour block of time throughout the school year. Two full-year credits (4 semester or block credits) are awarded for the successful completion of the entire sequence.
Important benefits beyond academics
- HMC students develop an early professional reputation through a mutually beneficial mentor-protégé relationship, as they find ways in their day-to-day work at their mentorship sites to contribute to the mentor’s goals.
- Each HMC student develops a professional-level project that has real-world application.
- HMC students build skills in the areas of professional development, personal development, and leadership.
- Seminars build skills in advanced research, technical reading, and professional readiness.
- A seminar speaking series features challenging speakers from the metropolitan-area professional and academic communities.
- Experiences build a network of professionals and leaders — and peers who are emerging professionals and leaders.
Qualities of successful HMC student candidates
- Passionate interest in their subject area
- Capacity for advanced study through rigorous experiential learning
- Motivation to develop a professional project and a portfolio demonstrating academic potential
- Ethical standards and personal qualities that earn the respect and trust of colleagues
- Courage to take risks, the wisdom to seek guidance, and the desire to make the experience mutually beneficial
- Creative capacity for original thought and vision, for flexibility in new situations, and for making opportunities happen
Please check out the Science Mentorship pages for specific information on the Science Mentorship (SciMent) Progam.
For more in-depth information please read the HMC Summary Paper (PDF).
See this page for how to apply: Application Process Information.